Yes! whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by international communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Can't pull them all


The Nishiki Regal frame looked to have close to zero use. The rims were barely touched, knobbies still on the tires... what a find!

But... the seat post was beyond stuck. I suspect it had done some sort of chemical bond. No amount of bashing, twisting, or careful cutting would free it.

I finally tried pounding a squared-off long chisel made out of a broken fencing foil down the cut that had been made, but to no avail. I ended up punching a hole in the seat tube instead of neatly slicing out the seat post.

Fortunately, it was not a priceless handmade bike, so I stripped as much off as I could and snagged a donor Sekine frame (in my size!) that is now being built up with some of the Nishiki parts and some of its original. It has a Dura-Ace brake lever! Probably from around 1974.

No comments: